Ego and its perils

What is the definition of "Ego"? Anything to deal with "me" and "myself"? What is egoism and what is egotism? Are they good or bad? "I am a great leader, I am highly placed, I have influences, I have money, muscle power, I have education, I have a good job, I earn a lot, I can teach you a lesson, how dare you crossed my path!" - these are all statements of egoism, which Sri Ramakrishna used to call "bajjat Ami", meaning the "Evil Self", or "Kancha Ami" meaning "the unripe self". On the other hand he classified "Bhakta Ami", 'Das Ami" (Devotee Me, Servant (of lord) me) etc. as the "Paka Ami" or the 'Ripe Self'. He gave an example of 'Evil Self' (vide Gospels of Sri Ramakrishna or the Ramakrishna Kathamrita) - suppose someone had stolen 10 bucks from you, you thought how dare he steals from "Me", and getting hold of that guy, gave him a good thrashing, took away his belongings and then gave him up to police. That "Me" is "Bajjat Ami".
How very true! this bajjat ami dominates us most of the time. We think highly of ourselves, our achievements and refuse to think of our shortcomings. We get demoralized if somebody criticizes us, but we never bother to introspect. We always like to think of ourselves as superior to others, that we are better than most others, but in practice do exactly opposite. All these stem from the delusion of "ego", what is refered to as 'Ahamkara'. The perils of ego lies in our refusal to admit our shortcomings and not understanding the power of humility,unselfishness and the courage to introspect and rectify our course of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Similarities between German and Sanskrit

Oi Mahamanab Ase - Netaji's Subhas Chandra Bose's after life and activities Part 1

Swami Vivekananda and Sudra Jagaran or the Awakening of the masses - His visions for a future world order - Part 1